RPL multicast addresses

Hello list, I have been trying to get Contiki nodes to connect to a RIOT RPL network and vice versa, but so far without success. By sniffing the wireless traffic I have found that Contiki seem to be sending its RPL messages to the multicast group FF02::1A which in [1] is called "All RPL nodes". RIOT on the other hand is sending its RPL messages to FF02::1 and FF02::2 which are the "All nodes" and "All routers" groups which seem to be ignored by Contiki. RIOT seem to be unaware of the FF02::1A group on the other hand.

My question is: What is the correct behaviour for RPL messages?

Is there a defined multicast address to use (according to some RFC document or whatever)?

[1]: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses/ipv6-multicast-addresses.xhtml#link-local

Best regards, Joakim Gebart Managing Director Eistec AB

Aurorum 1C 977 75 LuleƄ Tel: +46(0)730-65 13 83 joakim.gebart@eistec.se www.eistec.se

Hello list, I have been trying to get Contiki nodes to connect to a RIOT RPL network and vice versa, but so far without success. By sniffing the wireless traffic I have found that Contiki seem to be sending its RPL messages to the multicast group FF02::1A which in [1] is called "All RPL nodes". RIOT on the other hand is sending its RPL messages to FF02::1 and FF02::2 which are the "All nodes" and "All routers" groups which seem to be ignored by Contiki. RIOT seem to be unaware of the FF02::1A group on the other hand.

My question is: What is the correct behaviour for RPL messages?

Is there a defined multicast address to use (according to some RFC document or whatever)?

Actually, to respond to my own question:

I found this in RFC6550:

Most RPL control messages have the scope of a link. The only    exception is for the DAO / DAO-ACK messages in Non-Storing mode,    which are exchanged using a unicast address over multiple hops and    thus uses global or unique-local addresses for both the source and    destination addresses. For all other RPL control messages, the    source address is a link-local address, and the destination address    is either the all-RPL-nodes multicast address or a link-local unicast    address of the destination. The all-RPL-nodes multicast address is a    new address with a value of ff02::1a.

RIOT's behaviour in this regard therefore seems wrong.