RIOT OS for the Atmel SAM R21 (ARM m0+)

Hi dev team

We are small team of 3 engineering students at Aarhus School of Engineering, Aarhus university.

We are about to umbark at our final project before graduation.

The reason why we are contacting you is that we would like to use your software but do you know about a port for Atmel SAM R21 Xplained Pro? e.g. http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/samr21xplainedpro/index.html

This is needed because of a limited timeframe of dev time... Therefore spending time on fixing a port to that particular board, if one already exists, would be like "reinventing the deep plate"

Best regards Troels D. Hoffmeyer Jesper Nissen Rane Balslev

Hi Rane et.al,

great to hear about your interest into RIOT.

The bad news, there doesn't exist a port of RIOT to the SAM R21, yet.

The good news, we received a couple of these boards today from Atmel and I started out with a port today.

That said, it will certainly will take some time to "fully" support this board. I'd say basic support (UART, timers, GPIO, SPI) by end of this week, probably another week for bug fixing and basic radio functionality. There is already support (basic operating modes) for the at86rf231 radio device in RIOT which is very similar to the at86rf233 on the SAM R21. I'm working to support extended operating modes in parallel to this porting efforts.

What do you plan to use RIOT and SAM R21 for and/or which features are of special interest to you?

Best, Thomas

Hi Thomas

Thank you for a fast reply!

We actually started out porting ourself. Perhaps you could add the project to the hub?

We have some implementation regarding the GPIOs ready for test.

So we could tag team it...?

hi all,

I pushed the basic file tree to my github fork [1]. Maybe we could use this as synchronisation point for our porting efforts. I'm currently working on the UART driver to get output working.

I also created a issue in gh [2] to track our all porting efforts so we don't do (too much) double work.

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Best, Thomas

[1] https://github.com/thomaseichinger/RIOT/tree/samr21 [2] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues/1646

Great to hear that!

We just uploaded our work to the hub as well.

But theres a few things that we wanna fix before opening up for pull requests...

But we are totally thrilled that you are started up with the task as well! very nice

i will be sendning you our hub link asap

Hi guys

We have been working on the port and now have a working adc, uart, spi and transceiver.

I would appreciate if you had some examples on the use of sixlowpan so i could try testing something…

If you do please contact me.

best regards Rane Balslev Aarhus University

Hi Rane, an example for the use of sixlowpan you can found in examples/rpl_udp/. Be aware though, that we are in the process of heavily rewriting and refactoring our network stack (including 6LoWPAN and IPv6) to a more unified and modular approach.

Best regards, Martine

Hi Rane,

We have been working on the port and now have a working adc, uart, spi and transceiver.

Cool, looking forward for your PR.

I would appreciate if you had some examples on the use of *sixlowpan *so i could try testing something...

You could take a look at examples/rpl_udp/ or

Cheers, Oleg

Hi guys

Rane, are your contributions in the main RIOT main branch? Do you have a public repository where this can be used ?

I am migrating this to SAMD21 and your port would be useful

-Akshay.

Hi Rane,

I’m also very interesting about the adc, uart, spi and transceiver that you have developped. When will you add your contributions to the main RIOT repo?

Best,

Baptiste

How should we decide on which SERCOM to assign for SPI and which for I2C for the SAMD21 cpu.

Currently SERCOM0 is assigned for UART but others are free and I’d take SERCOM1 for SPI for now and hence sending out this mail to stay consistent if there is any other approach to the driver.

-Akshay

Hello,

I’m using SERCOM2 for I2C. So that fits with your configuration. Concerning SPI, I thought Rane had already done the driver?

Best,

Hello,

I'm using SERCOM2 for I2C. So that fits with your configuration. Concerning SPI, I thought Rane had already done the driver?

Yes ! Rane, can you share the SPI patch for SAMR21 ?

-Akshay