Readme badges

Hello,

since we got a CI badge in the README, I think we could also add a badge to guide newcomers to our IRC. (I already opened a PR for that [1].)

Maybe it's a good idea to discuss if we are generally open to accumulate a few badges in our README or if this should be more restricted. I'm not looking for a discussion about the PR, but the badges.

Cheers Raphael

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/8964

Hi Raphael, and all,

Maybe it's a good idea to discuss if we are generally open to accumulate a few badges in our README or if this should be more restricted. I'm not looking for a discussion about the PR, but the badges.

I'm in favour of badges as they give a nice and easy to grasp overview on build states, features and so on. And --looking at other projects-- badges seem to be rather common and popular (at least at the moment, and until the next hype or so :slight_smile: My only concern right now is that if we add more (and more) badges, the README header will get kind of "crowded".

Any general objections on this, otherwise we can start by merging Raphaels PR and see how this evolves.

Cheers,

Sebastian

[mail]: s@mlng.net [code]: smlng (Sebastian Meiling) ยท GitHub