Raw communication between native nodes

Hi,

I was wondering if there’s a way to send raw data between nodes running on native. I need to send OpenThread packets between nodes (through a radio abstraction), and I’m having problems with TAP interface since they only process ethernet frames.

I tried to hack a little bit (put these OT packets in ethernet frames) but is not working well. Basically, I need to emulate a radio device.

Is there an easy way to achieve this?

Best regards.

Hi, have you checked out PR 5206 [1]? It isn't raw data transfer, but it allows you to use PCAP files (the filetype wireshark uses) for netdev communication (since PCAP also supports IEEE 802.15.4 this should work for that). I think where I left things actual communication isn't possible right now, but you can write PCAP files and read them, which might be better anyways for testing since you can very precisely control when you receive what data ;-).

Cheers, Martine

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/5206

Hi,

Hi,

I was wondering if there's a way to send raw data between nodes running on native. I need to send OpenThread packets between nodes (through a radio abstraction), and I'm having problems with TAP interface since they only process ethernet frames.

I tried to hack a little bit (put these OT packets in ethernet frames) but is not working well. Basically, I need to emulate a radio device.

Is there an easy way to achieve this?

some of you maybe knowing that I am working on a RIOT native 802154raw transceiver driver which works with AF_PACKET RAW linux-wpan interfaces.

At the end it should work like the following:

First I need to describe a special virtual 802.15.4 driver, it's named fakelb (maybe such idea can also be implemented in RIOT).

It works similar like the hwsim80211 driver in linux (but less functionality, I also was thinking to make a better implementation of fakelb and name it hwsim802154).

With such driver you can create "virtual phy's" in Linux.

E.g. 2 phy's,

6LoWPAN/etc 6LoWPAN/etc                > >       wpan node interface wpan node interface                > >            mac802154 mac802154                > >            wpan-phy0 <--L1(memcpy)--> wpan-phy1

Descrption:   - mac820154: Our 802154 SoftMAC stack   - 6LoWPAN/etc: upper layer IPv6, foo stack   - wpan node interface: a wpan node interface which does filtering

Now with a 802154raw native RIOT driver the following would be possible:

RIOT native (Userspace)      AF_PACKET RAW            > 6LoWPAN/etc 6LoWPAN/etc            > > >   wpan monitor interface wpan node interface wpan node interface            > > >            > mac802154 mac802154            > > >        wpan-phy2 <-L1(memcpy)-> wpan-phy0 <--L1(memcpy)--> wpan-phy1

In this setup you can ping from Linux IPv6 stack the RIOT Stack which running in userspace.

I think your use case would be look like the following which is also be possible:

RIOT native (Userspace) OpenThread native (Userspace)      AF_PACKET RAW AF_PACKET RAW            > >            > >   wpan monitor interface wpan monitor interface            > >            > >            > >        wpan-phy0 <----L1(memcpy)----> wpan-phy1

Then you could connect RIOT native with openthread native over the fakelb driver (maybe also add Linux nodes or more RIOT/OpenThread nodes).

I know somebody is working for adding such virtual driver in OpenThread, but I think they want to use real hardware for that (which I don't recommend). This is just for stack testing, there exists unsolved issues with ACK handling etc and you really don't want to bypass the great Linux IPv6 Stack :-).

I cc the guy/girl which wants to add this stuff to OpenThread.

- Alex

Hi,