Questions on Semtech SX1276 radio device driver

Hi everyone!

I'm new to RIOT and I want to implement LoRa network with using existing RIOT OS networking tools.

My transceiver is Semtech SX1276. It's famous LoRa modem for IoT. I want to use it as physical layer for my network.

I come up with questions:

1. Where I can get information about all steps that I should perform to implement networking based on this transceiver? 
I mean from messing with SPI up to network connection.

Hi Anon,

and once again, welcome to RIOT :-)!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to RIOT and I want to implement LoRa network with using existing RIOT OS networking tools.

My transceiver is Semtech SX1276. It's famous LoRa modem for IoT. I want to use it as physical layer for my network.

I come up with questions:

1. Where I can get information about all steps that I should perform to implement networking based on this transceiver? I mean from messing with SPI up to network connection.

I'm not aware of such kind of porting guide. My proposal would be to read some RIOT code, try to adapt it and open a PR in which you can probably get more concrete help.

2. As far I can see there's two good examples: theCC1101 device driver and AT86RF2xx driver. They're implementing a netdev2 interface, it's good choice for SX1276 radio?

netdev2 is the interface of choice, yes.

3. Which IEEE specification or network type fits to the my transceiver as upper layers? It might be the IEEE 802.15.4?

I've no experience with LoRa but probably 802.15.4 is not an upper layer for LoRa cause it is a PHY/MAC standardization as well. Isn't 6LowPAN + IPv6 compatible?!

4. Maybe I missing something and there's an already existing port of SX1276 to the RIOT somewhere?

Nope, there's no port.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Cr0s

Best Peter

Hey,

3. Which IEEE specification or network type fits to the my transceiver as upper layers? It might be the IEEE 802.15.4?

Take a look at the cc110x driver. cc110x is incompatible to IEEE 802.15.4, too, and uses 8bit hardware addresses. 6lowpan is "hacked" on top of that.

In order to make 6lowpan work, the driver must report an IID based on the actual hardware address, but created using the 802.15.4 algorithm.

What kind of layer 2 addresses does LoRa use?

Kaspar

Hey,

I have a few SX1272 and I wanted to start developing a driver for RIOT, maybe we could join our efforts and do something in common ? I think the driver is the same for the two models.

Cheers, Antoine.