questions about riot os

Hi,

I am trying to build riot os for the nrf52dk board. I got the code base and have been successful in building it and was able to add the nordic softdevice module as well

1. After adding the softdevice the code size jumped to 46K bytes which includes compilation of 6lowpan, ipv6. Is there a way to compile the nordic ble linbrary without adding these modules. I tried the DISABLE_MODULE macro and though the makefile complained , the code size still remained the same. It looks like 6lowpan and ipv6 are required modules. How do I change this.

2. Also as a general question, I see that RIOT claims the FLASH size usage is around 5K. What features does the 5K include. Does it incude pthreads, task switching, synchronization , messaging etc.

Hi Arjun,

1) After adding the softdevice the code size jumped to 46K bytes which includes compilation of 6lowpan, ipv6. Is there a way to compile the nordic ble linbrary without adding these modules. I tried the DISABLE_MODULE macro and though the makefile complained , the code size still remained the same. It looks like 6lowpan and ipv6 are required modules. How do I change this.

You'll need to remove the corresponding nordic softdevice dependencies from Makefile.dep. Currently, if you add modules to DISABLE_MODULE, they get removed *after* dependency resolution. In this case, meta-modules that are just used for dependency tracking are removed after their dependencies are added in.

2) Also as a general question, I see that RIOT claims the FLASH size usage is around 5K. What features does the 5K include. Does it incude pthreads, task switching, synchronization , messaging etc.

That very much depends. Please take a look at tests/minimal, which currently compiles to ~2.7k flash for ARM platforms.

5k flash is enough for RIOT's threading, synchronization and messaging. The pthreads wrapper will not fit, though. Also, newlib's POSIX stdio is quite large, e.g., a simple printf will pull in ~4k of code on ARM platforms.

Kaspar

Thanks a lot. I have one more follow up question. Does RIOT have a full Bluetooth stack?

Hi,

Is there a plan or a timeline for it?

Hi,