PWM on STM32-L1

Hello,

We are four students, working on riot-os implementation for STM32-L1. But we are facing some problems : we’re trying to add PWM features in order to use a motor shield. We already have implemented the pwm.h for our board. And now we’re having a hard time understanding how we should proceed with the periph_conf.h file.

Actually, our main confusion comes from the defines that we have to use to configure the pwm pins.

• Regarding the channels, we don’t really get what it refers to ? Do the values defined for these channels directly correspond to the number written on the board near the pins (numbers 3, 5, 6, 9, 10 and 11 on the stm32l1) ? Why are there four channels defined for each pwm pins in the stm32f3discovery’s periph_conf.h ?

• What values should we use for the PWM_X_DEV, PWM_X_CLKEN(), PWM_X_CLKDIS() and PWM_X_PORT_CLKEN() ?

• For the PWM_X_PORT, should we use GPIOC and GPIOD as it is done for the stm32f3 ?

• Should we disable the pins in the GPIO config if we want to use them as PWM ?

We would be very grateful for any help.

Best regards.

Hello Vivien & Co.,

and welcome to RIOT! Let my try to bring some light into the dark :slight_smile: . You’ll find my comments inline. The general idea of the “periph_conf.h” is a RIOT specific hardware/pin abstraction. Is it correct assuming you have a stm32 nucleo-l1 board?

The pwm.h is a peripheral interface which you can find in “RIOT/drivers/include/periph/pwm.h”. You’ll need to fulfill this API with your driver implementation but NOT adapt it. It is designed to match the basic functionalities. As stated above, the periph_conf.h decouples hardware-specific stuff from the RIOT naming-scheme. For example, you can setup the pin PA09 on the board and name it GPIO_0 in RIOT. Comparing the stm32f3discovery you can have multiple PWM channels on one port. Each channel can fulfill a separate PWM and therefore has its own pin. On stm32f3discovery there are two ports with four channels each. For your first implementation you don’t need to implement multiple channels per board. One working PWM (pin) should be enough to validate the driver. You can not compare the numbers written on the stm32 nuclea-l1 and the stm32f3discovery. I guess you need to understand the I/O pin multiplexer in general. Please read [1] p.175 sec. 7.3.2. Did you have a look at the CMSIS header? You can find it in RIOT/cpu/stm32l1/include/stm32l1xx.h. There, all registers and cpu specific configurations are named. You should have a look at (i) the use of this file comparing for example to the gpio implementation and (ii) compare the stm32f3 PWM implementation. You will see that the PWM especially depends by timers (TIMx). You’ll also need to enable bus clocks for the peripherals. You can find all principles in the stm32f3 implementation as this is really similar to the stm32l1 i think. Also you can find everithing in the manual [1]. You need to go into the manual and see where you can map these pins to. It think it is not possible on every port and every pin for each potential function. Select a port and pin where no other peripheral function is placed. Please try to avoid multiple functions for one pin. Then you don’t have to disable them. Are you fine now, any further questions? Cheers, Peter