NSTF - Naming the stack

Hi everyone,

concerning the name of the new network stack, and assuming it is not going to be the only network stack that RIOT hosts, here’s a suggestion.

The way I see it, the goal of this network stack was/is to be generic [1]:

• one-size-fits-most
  • flexible/configurable/extendable

In contrast, other stacks that RIOT supports (or is about to support) have more specific goals, e.g.

• OpenWSN stack (focus on 802.15.4e and 6TiSCH)
  • Kaspar’s IP stack focusing on fitting the memory constraints of Class 0 devices
  • CCN-lite stack focusing on NDN and CCN

So how about we simply name the new network stack “the generic stack” and, where needed in the code, we could abbreviate the word “generic” by eliding the vowels from the word, which then becomes the acronym/prefix “gnrc”.

Somehow, we can convene that “gnrc” could/can be pronounced almost like the original word “generic”.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

[1] Word definition from Webster dictionary: Generic: Very comprehensive; pertaining or appropriate to large classes or their characteristics; – opposed to specific.

http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=generic

+1 for "generic", but do we need the abbrevation?

Hey Kaspar!

+1 for "generic", but do we need the abbrevation?

Aren't you usually the one arguing for short variable names and the like?

Cheers, Oleg

Hi, given that I was asked today what the “R” means in RIOT (and Thomas W. giving the most excellent to my “revelutionary” or “restricted”: “RIOT”) I really like gnrc. Let’s find some alternative meanings for that! :smiley: “Generic newly retained code”? “Great networking! RIOT certified”? “Google never really called [us]”?

Cheers, Martine

Hi,

I also can live very well with gnrc aka generic.

Cheers, Hauke

P.S. +1 for ‘Google never really called’ :slight_smile:

Hey,

Hi, If it can help brainstorming, “non-specific” is a synonym for generic e.g ns_ as “non-specific network stack”.