New IPC API status

If memory serves there were a number of potential features that were on the back burner until RIOT’s new IPC API was finalized (e.g. filesystem/VFS, and maybe ELF loading). Back in November Kaspar concluded that the approach he had been working on wasn’t the correct way forward and closed the PR.[1] I was wondering, is any further API work was being done outside the view of the mailing list was being done on the IPC or was it decided that the current implementation was deemed good enough for now?

Thanks,

Adam

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/1890

Hi Adam,

filesystem/VFS, and maybe ELF loading). Back in November Kaspar concluded that the approach he had been working on wasn't the correct way forward and closed the PR.[1] I was wondering, is any further API work was being done outside the view of the mailing list was being done on the IPC or was it decided that the current implementation was deemed good enough for now?

I've done a lot of research on this, with the intention of getting it right. My findings so far:

1. the old messaging, as simple as it is, is also very efficient, both cyle and memory wise

2. message queues get inefficient when using non fixed-size small messages

I'm currently at my fifth implementation (I've tried different ways to implement this), but I fear that the initial idea of having messages larger than msg_t will come with a compromise in rom/ram/cyle usage, which might be unacceptable.

Stay tuned. :wink:

Kaspar

Hi