Network Stack Question

Hi Haoyang,

welcome to RIOT!

I forward this mail to my colleague Oleg, who is actually doing the same thing - so I guess he is probably the best one to help you!

Since you already found the mailing list, I took the liberty of replying here instead.

Yes, I'm working indeed on CCN for RIOT. Until recently, there was a port of ccn-lite [1] in RIOT. See for example our second last release 2014.12 [2]. However, during refactoring the network stack and due to the increasing divergence of RIOT's ccn-lite port and the upstream version, we decided to remove it temporarily and re-integrate it. Hence, I'm currently working towards this re-integration as a package [3].

@Oleg: do you have already code for CCN-lite @ netapi?

The code I have for now is probably of very limited use for other people, but I think the main question for you is how to interact with layer 2. Hence, I would advice to take a look at the default example [4] which provides a very simple example for dealing with L2 transmissions. You probably also want to look at the documentation for the gnrc network stack, most particular the documentation of the netapi [5] and the registry [6]. There's also some ongoing effort on some more high-level documentation in [7].

Please, don't hesitate to ask more questions here on the list or on IRC.

Cheers, Oleg

[1] http://www.ccn-lite.net/     GitHub - cn-uofbasel/ccn-lite: CCN-lite, a lightweight implementation of the CCNx protocol and its variations [2] Release RIOT-2014.12 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub [3] External Libraries · RIOT-OS/RIOT Wiki · GitHub [4] RIOT/examples/default at master · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub [5] GNRC communication interface [6] Network protocol registry [7] doc: Update and provide high-level doc for all the important modules · Issue #4072 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub     doc: Update mainpage by miri64 · Pull Request #4091 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your quick response! These resources will be very useful for me, I will ask more question here.

The problem I face now is that I want to use the embedded default network stack to make two Atmel R21board to send packet with each other through RF, before I implemented the a new protocol on Network stack. Do you have any experience about that? I did not find many resources online.

Thanks, Haoyang

Hi Haoyang!

The problem I face now is that I want to use the embedded default network stack to make two Atmel R21board to send packet with each other through RF, before I implemented the a new protocol on Network stack. Do you have any experience about that? I did not find many resources online.

I'm not sure, if I understand your question correctly: by "embedded default network stack" you mean RIOT's default stack aka gnrc stack? If the answer is yes, than just take a look at the default example I mentioned in the previous mail (it has a README and the shell has an online help), flash it to two nodes and play around by sending messages over the link layer using the `txtsnd` command.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Oleg,

I understand and tried what you said. The problem I faced for a long time is that

• txtsnd: I cannot set the interface, if I use tap0, which will echo: error: invalid interface given.
  • I found the tutorial that said using addr, but I do not have the addr command when I use the R21 board.
  • And what is the mean for interface for txtsnd to use, if I have /dev/tty.usbmodem* MCU device

Thanks, Haoyang

Hi Haoyang,

Thanks for your answer!

I think I can send data between with each other, but I am puzzled by the realization,

1. where can I find the txtsnd source codes?
  2. Does packet txtsnd sent is through RF based on GNRC protocol, not the serial right?

Thanks, Haoyang

Hi Haoyang,

Hi Martine,

Thank you so much for your patient answer!

I changed hundreds of codes in NETWORK stack for the example of default, which implemented txtsnd and echo a ACK back to the source. However, there is still some puzzles hang over my head:

• #ifdef MODULE_GNRC_NETIF vs #ifdef MODULE_NETIF: Are they the same definition of MODULE_GNRC_NETIF and MODULE_NETIF?
  • I understand one packet is formed by many snipts which use linked list. gnrc_pktbuf_add() is used to form a packet. I add the hardware address on linked layer using gnrc_pkbuf_add with the data payload. For layer 3, layer4, is it okay still use gnrc_pktbuf_add() to link the layer 3, layer 4 header?
  • I am not fully understand the type of GNRC_NETTYPE_UNDEF, is it just the data payload? And also for the GNRC_NETTYPE_NETIF, is it the layer 2 snipt type?

Because my main focus will be grab the layer 2 packet and the implement a new protocol I defined on for layer 3, layer 4 in ICN. Thank you for your help!

my changes: https://github.com/haoyangyu/RIOT/commits?author=haoyangyu

Best, Haoyang