MIPS platform (PIC32)

Hi,

Does anyone know if people are porting RIOT-OS to the MIPS platform and what is the status ?.

Paul.

Hi Paul!

Does anyone know if people are porting RIOT-OS to the MIPS platform
and what is the status ?.

As far as I know noone ever tried porting RIOT to MIPS and I know too little about this platform to give any estimate about the feasibility/difficulty of this task.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Oleg,

I do know the MIPS code very good, I am looking for a good e-book or normal book about the ARM core. The MIPS code is more powerfull per MHz and also has a better architecture. Its only a pitty that the chip technology used is less power optimized than most ARM vendors use that is why the sleep and powerdown are higher.

I think this will change since microchip is busy with XLP for PIC32.

regards, Paul.

Oleg <oleg@hobbykeller.org> schreef:

Is there anything special about the MIPS march that would make porting RIOT an issue? Seeing as RIOT runs on 32-bit ARMs, 16-bit MSP430s, x86, and now even 8-bit Atmels I don’t imagine there is much standing in the way of another incredibly well documented architecture. Though, I’ve been wrong before.

Hi Adam,

Does RIOT use any memory protected (do not think so since MSP430 and PIC do not have any) is it using any hardware specific things ?. I am new to RIOT that is why I ask. Is there a good ducument about the inner workings of RIOY OS so I can see if there are possible issues with MIPS.

Paul.

Adam Hunt <voxadam@gmail.com> schreef:

There are a few papers out there that provide a decent 10,000 foot view (or 3,048 meters, if you prefer).

Aside from those you should take a look at the Porting Guide on the wiki if you haven’t already. You might also find the API documentation useful. Beyond that, someone correct me if I’m wrong, the canonical documentation can be found in the code itself.

–adam

Hi,

Though, if you ask me, RIOT’s code is far cleaner and more approachable than that of some other projects.

Is it possible to port RIOT OS to PIC16 platform (no stack manipulation possible)or the PIC18 platform (limited stack manipulation possible)

I have been looking into the atmel ported code to see what is all needed to do and most is not a problem but what are the stack manipulations needed ?. Does every thread have its own stack ?.

thanks.

Hi

yes, every thread has it's own stack. You need to be able to store and restore a thread's context per request and on interrupts.

Cheers, Ludwig