Gsoc 2015

hi all ,

My name is Kausthub Naarayan . B , i am a student from Bangalore ( India ) doing my Bachelors of Engineering in Information Science & Engineering . I was going through the ideas list and i am really interested in this field of IoT and especially in the Networking project proposed that is the implementation of BLE . I wanted to know if i can work on my Linux system itself or do I need to get a separate system to run it ?

Thank you Regards Kausthub Naarayan

Dear Kausthub!

I wanted to know if i can work on my Linux system itself or do I need to get a separate system to run it ?

For basic familiarization with RIOT and higher layer implementations, you can use RIOT's native port [1]. However, for concrete driver development you will need real embedded hardware.

For BLE hardware we would suggest the Nordic SoC (NRF51822). This cpu is already supported by RIOT and it allows you to get started with BLE right away, without having to port RIOT to some new hardware first. But before you actually look into a specific platform, I would highly recommend to design and discuss your overall architecture first!

Cheers, Oleg

[1] Family: native · RIOT-OS/RIOT Wiki · GitHub